Tuesday, August 11, 2009


Last month, I went to see the Francis Bacon exhibit at The Met. While roaming the halls, I stumbled across this photograph of Stanislaw Ignacy Witkiewicz. When I was 17, I was dating a guy who was a Philosophy major at Pitzer. He gave me a hardcover copy of "The Madman and The Nun (and other plays)", by Witkiewicz, that he procured from the school library. I still have the book. Needless to say, I am sure the library fines have become quite steep. The play profoundly influenced me at the time, so much so, that my best friend and I even made a (really bad) short film version of the play. In case you're wondering, I played the part of the nun. I wonder if Daniel still has that film somewhere. Anyways, several years later I stumbled upon his novel "Insatiability" at the library (during my 4 books a week horrible insomnia period), read it and thoroughly enjoyed it. I highly recommend reading both. If you enjoy them, then maybe we can be friends.

No comments: