Friday, August 28, 2009

R.I.P. Dominick Dunne


This is a day late. Dominick Dunne has passed away, as some of you may know. I discovered his writing through the pages of Vanity Fair as a young teen. (obituary)

I have always been enthralled and inspired by his life. A few facts: He did not start writing until the age of 50. His daughter Dominique was violently killed as a young woman. She was an actress and played the older sister in Poltergeist. Dominick turned the pain of losing his daughter into a lifetime of advocating upon the behalf of victims. His brother was writer John Gregory Dunne and his sister-in-law was Joan Didion. In my humble opinion, his was the most compelling coverage of the OJ Simpson trial.

I have to say that in my many years of subscribing to and reading Vanity Fair, Mr. Dunne's articles were always what captured me and always what I wanted to read first. He will be greatly missed by many, not the least of which is me, one of his fans. Thank you Mr. Dunne and Good Night.

No comments: