Monday, August 24, 2009

The Sound of Silence




I found myself in a "Friendly's" today. For those of you that don't know, "Friendly's" is a sort of ice cream parlor come diner chain, scattered around the North East US. Its clientele boasts a real cross section of "America's finest." Anyways, seated at the table across from us were two men. They may have been lovers or brothers or friends. I would wager to guess that they were romantically involved. The thing that struck me was their absolute dearth of any discernible communication. They did not speak. They did not make eye contact. Their body language made no contact with the other.

I began to wonder about couples who cease to communicate. I have never been in that position, mostly because I have never had a relationship that lasted over enough time to warrant such mutual muteness. I have often been fascinated by these couples, people who have chosen to spend their life, or at the very least large chunks of time, together, only to spend it in silence. Are they lonely? Do they talk to other people? Do they find this depressing? Have they merely run out of things to say? Perhaps I am too chatty to ever really experience that. Or, as I just said, my inability to sustain a long-term relationship, has kept me safe from that sort of enforced solitude.

I guess I have not much else to say about it. If anyone that happens to be reading this can shed any light on this phenomenon, please do not hesitate to comment or email me.

No comments: