Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Summer Reading

For some reason, I woke up this morning thinking about Kierkegaard. More specifically, about "The Seducer's Diary." This was originally a chapter from his larger work "Either/Or." It tells the story (which is widely accepted to be autobiographical) of the grand seduction and ruin of the narrator's object of desire. On a grander level, it is part of Kierkegaard's exploration of the different ways to approach life and what outcomes they then bring. As is my way, I chose to read this Danish book in French, but I can well imagine that the English translation has the same affect upon the reader. I don't know why I am off on this tangent of revisiting books I read 10 years ago, but there you have it! Read it!

There is also a French film of the same title, starring the dreamy Melvil Poupaud. The film intertwines a few stories that center around the premise of the book. I loved the film, but realize that it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

Now, the big question of the day is why the heck did I wake up thinking about Kierkegaard and his exploration of romantic failure? Hmmmmm.....I will get back to you on that one.


No comments: