Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Blame it on the armpit.




I have an extremely sensitive sense of smell. This is not always an asset. There are certain smells that provoke an involuntary gag reflex in me. Literally, smells will make me gag. Now, this is not a good sign, if the way a person smells causes this rather dramatic response. They may not smell bad to someone else, but to me, well, repulsive.

On the flip side of this, I am deeply driven by pleasant odors (I never really like that word- "odor"). When I am attracted to someone, it is often intertwined with their specific scent. In true Pavlovian form, I respond to the scent of a lover as if it is a homing device. I can't get enough of it. B.O.? Bring it on. There is no greater aphrodisiac than the sweat of a man I am in love and/or lust with.

When love affairs sour, so does my lover's scent. What once turned me on, now makes me gag. It's usually a good indicator that I'm done.

Perhaps I suffer from hyperosmia, like Jean-Baptiste Grenouille in the book Perfume.

I wonder how many of us our driven by our olfactory system. I find the whole study of pheromones, and their role in our lives, pretty fascinating. You can read more here and here.

Just for fun....armpit scene from Flirting With Disaster.

2 comments:

dia said...

i smell EVERYTHING! drives me bonkers.
definitely more of a cure than a blessing.
xo

erin said...

Right??? Yeah- the nose knows....but I don't always want to!