Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Love Letters

In my life, I have received some love letters, I have written some love letters. I came across this last week: the best love letter I have ever received. I suggest that you write a love letter. There are all types of love. Write a love letter today, to anyone. It might just make you feel good. More importantly, it might make the recipient feel good, or at the very least, feel something period. Here is my favorite, author shall remain anonymous:

So should I let you in on these thoughts, these feelings that wrap around my moments of aloneness, that quietly penetrate even my sleep and, when I awake whisper in my ear: "What a good host you have been?"

I am not one for the writing of love letters, which to me seem like the throwing of oneself upon the mercy of the court. I like my drama where it belongs, in someone else's life. But, I cannot contain myself any longer. You remind me that I am a secret to myself. I am inundated with you. Your smile conducts my pulse. I am strung-out. Though you offer me only fragments divided by time and space, torn by incompatible loyalties, what is between us is no less valuable for being fleeting.

If I act against my own good in writing you, that speaks only to the depth of my feeling and my inability to harness it. Is that awkward for you? I have no recourse but honesty with you. This is not a declaration of love but of drunkenness. I am drunk with you. I do not pretend to understand it, nor do I care to; just as I do not write with a need for you to respond. Ever. Whatever may happen, keep a safe place for whatever this is.

I will add that this is all very irregular and slightly embarrassing for me. It has been a long time since I have been so affected by someone and, it is a bit reminiscent of high school.

So there you have it. I have kept a place safe for whatever that is/was. I should have made different choices, but I didn't. I am glad that I kept the letter. It reminds me of things I need to remember.

No comments: