Wednesday, September 2, 2009

TV Confessions: Part 1

My guilty pleasure in my present life is television. There are 3 main categories of television that I love.

The first is, what I believe to be, quality television. This is then sub-divided into drama and comedy. Such shows are The Office, 30 Rock, Nurse Jackie, In Treatment, previously The Sopranos and Six Feet Under, and hopefully Mad Men, if I ever start Season One/Disc One that I have had from Netflix for months! You get the general idea.

Category two is, what I like to call, cheesy nostalgia television. This primarily consists of old reruns of popular shows of my youth. By youth, I mean my teen years. By my teen years, I mean the 90s, early 90s. By shows, I mean the O.G. Beverly Hills 90210. I have to say, there's something about a Dylan-Kelly-Brenda high school love triangle I really love! Yes, feel free to judge me and feel free to call me a nerd.

The third and final category is the "Reality" category. This is my guiltiest of television vices. This is also sub-divided into "talent-based" and just trashy. I would like to make it known that I do not watch American Idol, Dancing With the Stars, The Bachelor, Survivor, Big Brother...etc, etc. Of the "talent-based" shows, I recommend the following: So You Think You Can Dance (seriously, even if you don't know dance, it will move you), Project Runway (although it has clearly slipped), Top Chef (yum) and I guess that about rounds out that category for me. Now for the trashy shows....The Real Housewives franchise has been known to suck me in, but it has lost some of its appeal, The Rachel Zoe Project (I know, I know....but the clothes and she is good at her job) and my real favorite and what spawned this post.....Flipping Out.

For those of you unacquainted with Flipping Out, it follows the life and work and OCDness of Jeff Lewis, a house flipper and designer who is somewhat, shall we say, controlling. Here's the thing.....I get it. I get why he wants things done the way he wants things done. I get his quest for perfection. Do I think he is somewhat nuts? Yes, but I find that to be part of his charm.

Anyways, if anyone wanted to know what to waste some time on via the telly....there you have it. My suggestions. I am not claiming they all have any real value....but pleasurable nonetheless....and I am rarely wrong, right?

No comments: