Thursday, October 29, 2009

Masks and Disguises






As most of you know, it's almost Halloween- everyone's favorite time of year to dress up, perhaps don a mask and pretend to be someone else. I have not really dressed up for Halloween since Junior High, with a couple of lame exceptions. Maybe that's because huge chunks of my life were lived undercover. By undercover, I mean that I raced through days pretending to be someone I was not. I pretended to be the polite child, the good student, the cheerleader, the actress, the equestrian, the faithful girlfriend, the trustworthy daughter, the exemplary employee, the generous lover, the cold-hearted bitch, the fiancee, and sometimes, the one who didn't care.

Maybe after all of that "dressing up," I just didn't have it in me to pretend to be someone else dressing up as yet another person. Every year at this time, it crosses my mind. I think "Maybe I should dress up this year, maybe I should come up with something really clever." And, then, I do nothing. I love masks and disguises, truth be told, but they really only appeal to me when it's least expected.

Are you dressing up this year? Are you more like you on Halloween? If you are a woman, do you like to be slutty fill-in-the-blank? Do you have the perfect costume figured out?

Eh, maybe next year.

No comments: