Saturday, December 19, 2009

SAVE THE DRAMA FOR YOUR MAMA!








Unless, your Mama is a stage mom, then she might have too much drama all on her own!

Alright, I am feeling less crappy today, so I would like to tell you all about my crazy week (last week). I have a 6 year old son, as some of you may know. For those of you who didn't know, go ahead and pause for a moment. Yes, I am janky, but I think I am also a decent mother. Anyyyyyyways, he is an enthusiastic ballet dancer. He rehearsed for 3 months to be in a pretty large scale production of The Nutcracker. 4 performances last week, 2 of which he was unable to perform in, due to a medical condition that took us by surprise...but that is a story for another day.

Part of the agreement for him to be in the production was parental involvement. So, I did a lot of volunteering. During our final week of rehearsals, I was working backstage, with props. During this week, I was continually amazed at the dedication of so many parents who give so much to see their children soar. Now, on the flip side, I was also horrified at the behavior of some of the parents. I have long been used to being treated like the unwed teen mom...although I was once married to Atticus's father and I am hardly a teenager (at least chronologically speaking), but this was some next levs bullshit.

Moms, you don't have to treat me like you treat your rebellious teen aged daughter. I am an adult and I have a decent IQ. No need to speak to me like I am your special ed student. I promise I will understand adult talk.

Also, is it necessary to freak out and spew your neurotic-out-of-control energy all over the rest of us? I get it, we are all a little stressed, but you acting like a 2 year old is not going to help keep any of the kids calm and under control. Can we really expect our kids not to tantrum, if we are kicking and screaming ourselves?

One more thing, your child is not innocent. If 99% of problems seem to occur when your kid is involved, then perhaps you need to address your child's behavior. I witnessed some SERIOUS parental denial. Wow. It boggles my mind how blind some people can be. I wanted to shake them and yell, "WAKE UP!!"

Having vented, let me say...the kids were amazing. This rehearsal and production schedule was brutal....and these children shined. The directors of the ballet school, who run the whole show, were amazing. The production manager is amazing. The parents who were calm and hard working were amazing. The show was beautiful and I'm happy my little guy was able to be a part of it.

I've learned, for any future stagey situations, to tune out the hyper parents. They don't care for the slutty "teen" mom anyway.

2 comments:

Lara said...

Just wanted to tell you that you are an amazing mother!!! You walk the line between cool and responsible as a parent - which is no easy task!

Love you! (And where do you find all these great pics?!)

erin said...

Thank you Lara! You are too kind! xoxo