Thursday, January 7, 2010

Artie


Artie Lange is currently in the hospital, after a suicide attempt. He stabbed himself repeatedly. This breaks my heart...not just because I am a fan, but because I have been there. I struggled for years with an overwhelming desire to harm and/or kill myself. Actually, 10 years ago this month, I wielded a box cutter against myself, in an attempt to numb, well, everything. I don't even remember if I was trying to kill myself, I just wanted everything to stop, all thoughts, all discomfort. Thankfully, my boyfriend at the time, was there, to stop me from going far too far. Ironically, I was sober at the time.

I feel like the luckiest girl in the world, that somehow the uncontrollable urge to self-destruct has been removed from my life. There were certain events in my life that helped me get here, not the least of which was having a child. I have written about this before. For some people, it seems like nothing ever seems to help them stop, imploding. From the bottom of my heart, I hope that something gives for Artie. Something that will save him from himself.

You can read about the news here and learn more about him here.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

glad you made it out alive. hope he does too

Psyched and Such said...

Artie's such a sad guy. I heard a lot of interviews when he was promoting 'To Fat to Fish' and you could tell that there was just no happiness in his life. He told Terry Gross that even with everything he had, all he wanted was to be left alone to do heroin. So sad. Glad you've been able to escape the clutches.

brendan donnelly said...

it bummed my day out hearing the news. i never cry, but,t oday i cried when i read the news and heard about his suicide attempt.

philip said...

Wow. As always, your honesty is beautiful.