Monday, May 17, 2010

Ask Erin!-It's been far too long.

I am so far behind on Ask Erin! questions. My apologies.....


via Formspring...


Ex-wife wants to put 10 year old on meds. admittedly he is a hyper handful has gotten in trouble at school but i see those as things that boys do. i was hyper my brother was super hyper and we are no more messed up than the next guy. what is your view?


Alright. Don't put your kid on meds, at least not yet. There is far too much over-diagnosing going on in this country. 

Young boys are usually hyper by nature. He needs to channel that energy somewhere...sports, karate, breakdancing- some sort of physical activity. Secondly, what is he eating? I am a big believer in the power of diet, particularly with kids. Maybe he is eating too much sugar, maybe he has a food allergy. I feel like there are many many avenues for you to explore before jumping to the pill solution. 

I know how hard it can be to handle a rambunctious boy, but that's your job- to parent him, to figure out solutions. Don't jump on the ADD/ADHD bandwagon. Did previous generations have this deluge of diagnoses? No. How long have you been divorced? Maybe he is just trying to get your attention. 

Please, for your boy, you really need to investigate and come up with some solutions. I am 99.9% sure that he does not to be put on amphetamines (which is essentially what most ADD/ADHD drugs are). Please let me know how it all turns out. I have a fantastic pediatrician who can also make recommendations on behavioral therapies in lieu of medication. If you would like that information, email me. 



More Ask Erin! posts to come this week. Ask me some questions, inspire me to answer them! Use the formspring box on your right or email me. 

No comments: