Monday, March 28, 2011

Late Night, Maudlin Street







Spring brings change. The stagnancy of winter starts to crack and new things are revealed.

It seems a lot of people I know have been suffering from insomnia lately. Insomnia and I are old bedfellows, so I just kind of roll with it. Eventually it passes and I sleep. Last night I slept, and I dreamt of a black horse.

Upon wakening this morning, I checked my email and I had a message from someone I haven't spoken to in quite some time. The timing feels strange, although I have yet to figure out why.

In processing what I read, I began to think of their hands, what they looked like, their size and texture. And I realized that I can recall hands with great detail. They exist in some card catalog in my mind. I spent some time pulling cards out and remembering fingernails and palms and veins and knuckles. I can lose myself in this sort of thinking. I think hands are easier to remember than faces, at times. They participate in all the non-verbal communication that exists between people. Sometimes, they even take on a life of their own.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what they say about men with large hands....

erin said...

Large gloves.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful