Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Remember that thing I said....

about being an optimist? Today, I am hanging on to my optimism by a thread, a bare thread at that.

Last night, Atticus had a boat load of questions about what has happened, and is still happening, in Japan. Trying to be truthful about something like this catastrophe, while not terrifying him, is no small feat. I don't know that I succeeded. The discussion about Japan led to a discussion about his other concerns, which led to a few tears before bedtime.

He told me this morning that he felt sad when he woke up, about Japan. And truthfully, I felt sad too. But, forward we march. Perhaps that slivery thread of optimism is all I need to get me through to the next day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing you stay optimistic while trashing other people's lives.

erin said...

I don't even get what you're trying to say.

brendan donnelly said...

hahahaha