Monday, April 4, 2011

Teachable

Recently, I watched an episode of Masterclass, which if you have yet to see, I recommend. The documentary series, that first aired on HBO last year (and is being re-aired now), chronicles an amazing mentoring program through Young Arts. High-school students are given an opportunity to be mentored from some of the world's greatest living artists, in various fields.

The episode I watched featured 4 young writers and the playwright, Edward Albee. He said something to these kids about writing that has been stuck in my head, ever since. The only difference between something that works and something that fails is that something that fails is arbitrary, something that works is inevitable.




Couldn't the same be true in your own story, in life? If something is truly not working, maybe it's not supposed to be there in the first place. And conversely, try as you might, what's supposed to be there, will be, despite your defenses. Although I do believe that we create the world we live in, we manifest our destiny, I also believe that there are certain inevitabilities, for lack of a better term, that have to exist, on that specific path.



The beautiful thing about these kids, is that they are willing to take some risks. They are willing to try something. They are willing to reject boredom. At a certain point, in adulthood, we begin to lose that willingness to learn, maybe to believe that we can learn. That is a very painful place to live. My worst fear is to be uninspired. To quote Soren Kierkegaard, Boredom is the root of all evil- the despairing refusal to be oneself.

I'm getting way too philosophical for a Monday morning, but I suppose that's just me.

No comments: