Friday, October 11, 2013

Narcissus and Me



Narcissism is essentially a fixation on oneself. (If you're a psychologist, I know, I know. I'm being a bit broad here.) I was lying in bed last night, thinking about writing, and thinking about how much I've written about myself, and thinking, shit, what if I'm a narcissist?! 

I am not in love with myself, I'm not filled with self-satisfaction, I don't feel erotic gratification when I think about myself. But, let's face it, I blog, I write a lot of personal essay type stuff, and I'd say that I inject a whole lot of autobiographical information into my fiction. Does this mean I'm a little bit narcissistic? 

Then I thought, maybe years spent swimming in self-loathing sort of balances it all out. I'm certainly hyper-aware of my flaws. So, do I get a pass? 

Maybe it's not narcissism, maybe it's just a case of being egocentric. But, we all need a little egocentrism if we're going to put ourselves out there in any sort of expository way, right? 

If we weren't all a little egocentric/narcissistic, we wouldn't spend so much time on Twitter/Instagram/Facebook et al. Or maybe you're just a voyeur. 

Maybe I'm over-thinking it. 






7 comments:

Foolish Being said...

Ego-centrism is the leading cause of depression. Take heed.

Anonymous said...

you just totally proved youre a narcissistic bitch

erin said...

@ Anonymous- You just totally proved you don't do punctuation.

philip said...

I don't think that expressing oneself, and doing so articulately, makes one a narcissist.

Anonymous said...

A hallmark of a narcissist is that they have great difficulty feeling empathy for others. They're bad listeners, but love to talk. They rarely, if ever, apologize for any wrongdoing. They're bad gift givers, or give gifts with strings attached. They never had their own needs met, so they cling to other people for their "narcissistic supply" of attention, ego-stroking, and validation to fulfill their needs. They're so wrapped up in their own needs that they fail to see anybody else as having needs of their own. I don't know you, but you do not seem like a narcissist.

erin said...

Thanks, anon. I don't think I'm a narcissist either. ;-)

Anonymous said...

you are a narcissist you slut bitch