Friday, March 14, 2014

Strangers Strangers Everywhere


(I know many many people have complaints about that First Kiss video, that you surely have all seen by now, but I don't get why. That a clothing company made the video is not a big deal to me. There have been a slew of fashion sponsored mini-movies and videos made over the past few years. And, the video is sweet and fun and it is what it is. I imagine that we all have bigger things to complain about.) 



Anyway. I started thinking about the ways in which we engage with strangers and how interesting it can be, because the possibilities of these interactions are limitless. Maybe you will kiss, maybe you will fight, maybe you will fall in love, maybe you will hear a cool story, maybe you will learn something, maybe you will talk to a crazy person, maybe you will get a job, maybe you will get peed on (I have a long history of being peed on, unwillingly, by strangers, on the street- but that's an entirely other discussion. And no, it's not something I appreciate.). 




Have you listened to the Strangers podcast? Started by the former director of The Moth, the podcast aims to feature "true stories about the people we meet, the connections we make, the heartbreaks we suffer, the kindnesses we encounter, and those frightful moments when we discover that WE aren’t even who we thought we were." 




In a large city, like New York, we come into contact with strangers constantly. It's one of the things I love about it. For as much as I enjoy isolation, I feel so so so much better when I am in a continuous flow of passing by other people's energy. Even when that energy is questionable. Despite my germ-a-phobia. This is why I think I'm far more productive in urban environments. But, maybe that's just me. 

So, go talk to a stranger today or ask them a random question. Might be fun? (Or your worst nightmare.) 

P.S. Tame Impala cover of Michael Jackson's Stranger in Moscow. 




1 comment:

OliviaG said...

I love Tame Impala! As far as strangers go, I hear what you're saying but I don't know- most strangers I meet make me hate humans! Oh well.