Tuesday, April 8, 2014

MY WORST NIGHTMARE



I think most all humans have a fear of something. Many of these fears are silly/unfounded/a little crazy. 

If you know me at all, you know that there is nothing I am more afraid of than rats. (Yes, yes, I know. There are far worse things, like your child dying etc. But, I'm not talking about that level of awfulness.)

So, like I said, I detest rats. When I have anxiety dreams, rats always star in them. Growing up in a canyon house, rats would get in through the basement and I could hear them running in the walls. I still shudder when I think about that sound. A few years ago, in LA, some little mice found their way into my house and I nearly had a nervous breakdown. 

Living in NYC, rats are sort of unavoidable. I try to squint so I don't see them when I'm in the park, or really anywhere there are bushes around dusk. I have friends who have had rats as pets, I enjoyed Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh, and I believe they are fairly intelligent and creative creatures. But, I just can't. 

So, when I saw this video, I was relived to see that many other New Yorkers are equally wimpy when faced with a rat, in a moving subway car. 

Enjoy. And, I'm sorry. 


What are you (irrationally) afraid of? 

2 comments:

virginia o said...

I am irrationally terrified by roaches. Big, flying ones...also known as water bugs, in some parts. I've been known to hyperventilate in their presence. :\

erin said...

Gross. I don't like those either! :-(