Tuesday, May 27, 2014

"It's sad, believe me, when you realize that the distressing things by far overweigh the beautiful things you feel."


Yesterday, I had the pleasure of revisiting a film I had not scene in 15-ish years (and for the first time, on the big screen), Rainer Werner Fassbinder's The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant

I first discovered Fassbinder in the way I discovered many things, through my childhood obsession with Andy Warhol. In 6th grade, my mom bought me a framed Warhol poster for Fassbinder's Querelle, which was based on Jean Genet's novel, Querelle of Brest. 

The poster....

(which is debatably suitable for an 11 year old, but I love that my mom bought it for me)


However, I digress....Petra. 



The entire film takes place in essentially one room. The film centers around Petra, a fashion designer and her obsession with Karin, her muse. 




I think my favorite character, however, is Marlene, her assistant/love slave. (Who doesn't say one word during the entire film, but is brilliant!)




No one can set up a shot the way Fassbinder can. See it for the costumes (and music) (and wigs!!) alone. If you are lucky enough to live somewhere where you can see it on the big screen, do so. (New Yorkers- the Fassbinder retrospective is still going on this week at Lincoln Center.) 









And a few clips....






2 comments:

mrnickcooper said...

Genet. Hmmm. My father gave me "The Thief's Journal" for my 13th birthday. I assure there is nothing appropriate about trying to interest a child in the way of things Genet. I love him. I love everything about him but, I will give my daughter his work. I sincerely pray that she discovers him on her own, but I don't be the one she associated him with. Now Joe Orton is another matter.

erin said...

Wow, "The Theif's Journal!!" This explains so much. xx