Monday, January 11, 2016

Smiling and waving and looking so fine....








I woke up before dawn, from a strange dream. I picked up my phone to check the time. 4:58 AM. I saw that I had 3 notifications, it was my turn on Words With Friends, someone new has started following me on Instagram, and from the NY Times- "David Bowie, the legendary musician, has died at age 69." 

I felt a vacuum in my chest suck up all the air. I threw my phone down, like maybe I could I "unsee" it. When Seth's alarm went off, minutes later, I saw that he sat up and read that same notification on his phone. I could not pretend. 





He got up and I was left there in the dark. As I had fallen asleep only 3 hours before that, I tried to will myself back to sleep, which never works. 




Here we are a few hours later and I have to see it. David Bowie is dead. 




The only time in my life that I have ever been truly star-struck was  during my one brief, strange, and wonderful moment with him in New York City when I was 16. 


I feel what we all feel, gut-punched, like a piece of us floated away in the night, into the stars, with our Star Man. And we awaken with holes in our bodies that ache. 


Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars has consistently been one of my top 5 favorite albums of all time, since the first time I heard it so many years ago. Listen to it, the whole thing, in one sitting, again.




And, I will always remember the many nights in Melinda's kitchen listening to this....



and live....




How lucky are we to have lived in his lifetime, to be left with his music, to be profoundly and forever changed by him. 


No comments: